Thursday, June 25, 2009

First post!

I have blogged on Live Journal, in the past, to discuss my personal life- with a few selected friends. Lately, I've ventured to the world of Mom blogs, in order to find ideas and read viewpoints from other other mothers. However, I noticed something. I could find many, many, many women writing about their day to day life rearing children, however I struggled to find any written by mothers who were trying to parent with a physical disability. I was a little surprised! I found blogs about special needs children- but what about special needs parents? I wonder why that is? It's not like people with disabilities do not reproduce! LOL

It is late, and I need to be in bed. Recently, my child returned from a month long trip abroad. She was visiting my in-laws, who live overseas. Her body clock is still 5 hours ahead, so that means she is waking up before the crack of dawn- which means "I" have to be up, as well. We had a full day of activity, so hopefully she is so worn out, that she sleeps a little later. To be honest, I feel like I have tried to overcompensate. Her grandmother has unlimited stores of energy, and played with her sun-up to sundown. I physically can not afford to do that, and I can feel my body scolding me for being so foolish. My doctor has a saying, " You have to conserve to preserve.". Today, I decided to say the heck with conservation, and tried to make sure my kid had a good day with me. We went to the movies, lunch at a pizzeria, the bakery, and met a local farmer to buy some of his produce (I got fennel in my cooperative farm box, which was a first. I'd never seen it fresh before.). I also cooked dinner, using the fennel and potatoes that were in my box. My daughter said her favorite part of the day was looking at all the different fruits and vegetables we received in our co-op box. I might as well have saved some money, and not purchased the tickets to go see Up. She found it too scary (my child is 4). We were supposed to go see the free movie, Horton Hears a Who, but all of the seats were taken up by the time we got there, including the ones for wheelchair users and their companions. The wheelchair space was available, but not the seats next to it. I didn't relish having a kid sitting on my lap for an entire movie- nor would she have wanted to sit there. Not to mention, with a spinal cord injury, you must be careful to avoid situations that could create pressure sores. I don't have sensation in my thighs, so I would not know when to shift her, or if her position was cutting off my circulation. I decided I did not want to disappoint her, since I did say we were going to see something, hence my choice of films.

No comments:

Post a Comment