Thursday, June 25, 2009

Vehicles..argh!!!

Today I had to take my van in for a service, since the "maintenance required" light has been on for a week. I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey, and it is absolutely ideal for me. It has plenty of room for both my electric scooter and manual chair, and the automatic sliding doors are ideal for helping me load groceries and my child. I never considered myself a minivan kind of person, and I remember once, in the past (before kid), scoffing at parents who buy a van after giving birth to their first child. Lesson learned- never EVER say never. Funny how life can throw you a real curve ball!

Turns out I am really wearing out the brakes! Since I make sure I keep a good deal of distance between me and other cars on the road, I tend to tap the brakes frequently. I need more of a stopping difference, because my right foot, hip and leg is partially paralyzed, and it doesn't have a lot of strength. I know I should drive an adapted vehicle, but the cost was prohibitive. I live in the suburbs, and the public transportation around here is a joke. Being stuck in the house 24/7, and having to rely on others to ferry me around would be a real pain. I would also be extremely depressed. I am a very social person, and seeing others, and getting out in the world is extremely important to me. I wish there was another option, but for right now- it is what works. I just replaced the brake pads a few months ago, and they are already worn down. The timing belt is due to be replaced, too- but the $700 dollars I was quoted today was beyond our means, until next month. Guess I will be staying home for awhile- don't want to take a chance on the engine blowing up when I'm out, or anything, and ruin my van, forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment